Clickers in a
Statistics Class: Enhancing Classroom Participation
Teaching
Statistics in non-mathematical courses (such as, Psychology) is challenging for
teachers and students. The unit itself is not popular it hinders the fear of
mathematics, describes concepts difficult to grasp and is less interesting
compared to other subject-specific units. The implementation of clickers in
statistics classes is not very common. For those who are unaware clickers are a
set of technological devices that record students’ responses to different types
of questions in real-time (e.g., true/false or multiple choice questions). Once responses have been polled the
instructor can display a bar chart indicating the distribution of responses. If
used properly clickers can improve engagement and classroom participation. I
have taught statistics for ten years at the IF but I found last year’s cohort
particularly passive and inattentive. I introduced clickers during the first
week of classes and included a note in the syllabus next to the weeks that we
would use clickers. My aim was to increase participation and engagement and to
determine the level of understanding of particularly complex topics.
Based on
my experience I have summarized the following points that may help you to
implement clickers in your classrooms:
- The most powerful aspect of clickers is that responses are anonymous andhidden from peers(this helps non-native English speakers who are reluctant to speak the language or are embarrassed to participate)
- There is inconclusive evidence on whether clickers increase learning (although last year’s cohort had the lowest failure rate – 4% but I cannot fully attribute this to clickers) but as a form of active learning I think it constitutes greatly to the learning experience
- There is consistent evidence (including mine) that clickers increase engagement and classroom participation
- Students enjoy clickers (the last pool asked whether students enjoyed the clicker sessions and the responses were 100% positive). This does not mean that you will not encounter students who hate them.
- Clickers provide immediate feedback and students appreciate this because it alerts them on concepts they don’t know (realizing what I know/don’t know)
- Clickers are particularly useful in re-visiting difficult concepts
- Lecturers are immediately informed on what the students understand (or not)
- They can be used as continuous informal assessment, which makes students proactive and lecturers aware of the classroom’s level
- Clickers are more useful for some topics than others (I found more technical topics are more easily addressed)
- You can initiate a debate when the incorrect responses are over 50%
- There is additional work for the instructor to prepare the session
- I wouldn’t use clickers for formal assessment (too risky) and I wouldn’t run a whole unit with clickers every week. My personal advice is to use them 4-5 times throughout the semester particularly in revision classes, or before assessment.
- Bare in mind that handling devices in classrooms can be challenging
For details about how to book them you must
contact the support office and reserve the tool. Also you need to install
TurnPoint software in your office PC to prepare the ppt presentations.
Antonia Ypsilanti
Psychology Department
Antonia Ypsilanti
Psychology Department
Great post. Very helpful!!!!!!
ReplyDelete