Thursday, 2 April 2015

Dimitris Nikolaidis Turns Academic Knowledge into Skills

I have been teaching the module of Innovation and New Product Development for almost a decade. During all these years I have applied all commonly used practices and methods of delivering such a module: presentations, case studies, guest lectures, video case studies, some workshops and of course, class discussions to name a few. My intention has always been to connect the theoretical framework of the particular subject with implementation. 

However, after some experimentation I have realized that the module could have been designed and delivered differently, with another orientation and under a general umbrella, in which the various concepts would be addressed, discussed and analyzed in a deeper way, and under a more critical and practical view.  When trying to identify a single short statement in order to position the unit I came up with a very simple one: “From Theory to Practice”. The primary aim is NOT to teach innovation or new product development, but to make students THINK and make their own decisions. It will not however ask students to mechanically memorize theories; but instead it asks them to make decisions; to apply; to doubt; to synthesize.




The outcome of this elaboration was a totally different and restructured module; different in the lecturing style; in the content; and most of all in the teaching approach: more elaboration on innovation and NPD; more critical analysis of various concepts and most of all, more application through a sequence of workshops within 4 days. 
Students are divided into groups of 3-5 from the very first day. A 60-page workbook with templates and tools to apply is provided to each one of them and a showcase of products is built in a decorated with various posters classroom. Four workstations are created and the “game starts” (see more here).



"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand."  Confucius (551-479 BC)


These are the demonstrated outcomes of the change:
  • 100% student engagement
  • 100% presence and participation
  • 100% students, even the weaker ones, ask, propose, argue.
  • They learn HOW TO use various tools and methods in the particular subject matter.
  • Knowledge is turning into skills.
  • Development of cultural agility, cooperation, teamwork.
  • Perception of “Learning could be fun as well”.  
  • Great evaluations!

 
Dimitris Nikolaidis, 
HoD BAED






No comments:

Post a Comment