Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching, Unit 1

The Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching (CiLT) is a course specifically designed to meet the needs of staff new to higher education teaching. On the 25th until the 29th of January, a class for the first unit of CiLT, entitled "Effective Learning and Teaching Environments", took place and it was attended by 14 colleagues of the International Faculty. Successful completion of the course will lead to the award of a Masters-level Certificate by the School of Education.




CiLT is formally accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and graduates become Fellows of HEA. Dr Nigel Russel and Dr Karen Ford, both Professional Development Managers for Learning and Teaching offered a unique experience to colleagues who attended the unit. Nigel and Karen also presented the University's new Learning and Teaching Professional Recognition Scheme (LTPRS) which supports academic and administrative staff to acquire Fellowship directly by the Higher Education Academy. Unit 2 will run next year for the majority of the academic staff of the International Faculty.
 

More information about CiLT can be found at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/lets/cpd/cilt

Some testimonials from IF staff who attended Unit 1:

"Attending CiLT has been an extremely positive experience. Apart from its thorough structure, engaging activities and the wealth of knowledge shared, Nigel and Karen were very effective in making me reflect on my multi-faceted role as educator.I appreciate that this course has set for me a solid professional perspective to work on, which will undoubtedly strengthen my lecturing skills. Furthermore, the abundant information acquired allows me to select and apply the most advanced teaching techniques as reckoned appropriate."

"My experience with CiLT was a true eye opener for me. It allowed me to reflect on my teaching and provided me with a multidimensional perspective of the learning experience. It has been extremely helpful for my future endeavors and I admit that I will use many of the things taught in my everyday practice starting from this semester. An added bonus of this course was the tightening of the relations between the IF staff that came with the team building activities that have been used. I am looking forward for the next module."

"It was a very productive week, full of surprises, self-reflection and interactive tasks. I really enjoyed the short sessions we were asked to deliver and attend and the feedback I received was very constructive. For the past six years only 2-3 people have observed my classes, but during the CiLT workshop week I received feedback from six different people. This way it was easier for me to identify my strengths and weaknesses and focus on particular areas for improvement."

"It started with studying scientific articles which made me feel a bit awkward and I had to find other resources. Finally during the week the learning approach was effective with very interesting activities. It was interactive and efficient learning with no stress. It was good that we participated with presentations."

 
"It was well-organized, interactive and informative, clear and supportive in its instructions and guidance, as well as diverse in activities and peer members/groupings. I look forward to engaging with the assignments from this point onwards."

"It was a "salubrious" learning process that reflected the importance as well as style of the learning experience, both for students and lecturers. Both Karen and Nigel were very inspiring. An astute, experiential learning process that highlighted personal resources, and brought into light acrimonious aspects of my personality."





Petros Kefalas
IFDLT

No comments:

Post a Comment