Thursday, 15 December 2016

To capture or not to capture? ... It depends! Who answers the question?

Lately, there has been a lot of discussion on lecture capturing in academia. A lecture capture is a video created while academic staff deliver lectures to students in a specially equipped classroom. A camera oversees the podium and its surroundings and a software records whatever is presented on the screen. While uploading, the two parts are joined automatically in one single video that can be accessed from the cloud through a link.

To capture! Doing so, all lectures are available to students to watch over and over again. Actually, students who missed a class can "attend" at a later time. A repository of lectures is developed in which all lectures of a module are stored and can be re-used either by students or by lecturers themselves for any reason, such as clarifications, consolidation, developing learning material for e-learning etc.   

Not to capture!! Not capturing means that we stick to the old traditional face-to-face lecturing. Is that bad? No, if you consider that lecturing was performed this way for centuries now and no one got any harm. But, if we think there is some pedagogical value in it, why not to capture while living in the digital era? Here are some reasons:

  • a video is not interactive, so students who watch a lecture capture cannot learn through engagement with the lecturer or fellow students;
  • having a back-up learning plan, students are tempted not to appear in classes;
  • when lecturers go public are not criticised only by students but also from other colleagues;
  • lecturers should be extra careful with slides, copyright issues, spelling, language etc., i.e. any slip on anything is recorded;
  • all material becomes open for others to use.

https://www.epiphan.com/blog/what-is-lecture-capture/

Of course, there are counter arguments to all the above but let's not elaborate. I think there is an implicit underlying suspicion that lectures will cease to exist. Would you think that if a lecture is engaging and stimulating that students would prefer not to come but watch the video instead? Would you think that if lecturers are performing a role which interacts with audience and motivates students through their physical presence that students would prefer the capture instead? I believe not in both cases. The rest of the issues about copyrights, appearance, criticism etc are secondary to the overall educational value. No one in academia claims that lecture capturing alone will change the face of education. What we argue is whether the wise use of lecture capturing will promote blended learning as the most favourite and most effective type of leaning to date. 

Our University has launched a debate over the issue, not so much about the importance of lecture capturing but mostly on whether academic staff should opt out or opt in. That is, whether all lectures should by default be recorded unless staff do not wish to do so (opt out), or whether they only lectures recorded are those that staff want to (opt in). To the surprise of many people, the Senate has agreed that the University will implement a policy of opting out from lecture capture from the start of the 2017-18 academic year. This means that the recording of material and subsequent publication on MOLE will become the norm, unless staff have persuasive and formally sanctioned reasons for not doing so. 

I would really value your opinion on whether the International Faculty should follow; you can post your opinion public as a comment or send it in private through email. 

Have a wonderful break.

Petros Kefalas
IFDLT

11 comments:

  1. I have realized long time ago that we live in a digital era and that technological advances cannot be stopped, and so I have tried to keep up with them and use them wisely. I particularly do not see any substantial plus with this new digital fashion of lecture capturing. I think the teaching model we use at the Faculty, and I can for sure talk about the PSYD, requires live interaction, and so I think that watching a lecture in a video has little additional to offer to our students who have to attend anyway since we have an attendance policy. Most important for me is the ethical implications and the potential impact at the person level. We are not actors, and being recorded at all times is like being on stage, it makes you self-conscious and for sure it affects the way you behave (many experiments in Psychology have shown this!)and so it has the potential to make lecturing (at least for me) not a natural interaction. So it is definitively a "no" for me, and definitively it should be to opt in and not opt out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ana and fully support her arguments. There is no doubt that we are living in a digital era, but let’s do not overdo it.
    Some further thoughts…
    One of my units is delivered to two different groups. My lectures are not exactly the same. One group might be much more interactive while the other remains quieter. I might have to pick up a student to speak and s/he remains silent. Isn’t it going to be embarrassing for the student to be exposed on the video? I might have to stop my class to reprimand students. Isn’t it going to be embarrassing for them? When I use the camera for the mock job interviews I ask students whether they want to be recorded and they sign a consent form. There are students who do not wish to be recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far technology has been used successfully in the academia to enhance and facilitate learning, but it's not a panacea. Many studies on classroom observation support that video recording affects significantly the behaviour of both teachers and students and that the lecture is no longer natural, but staged. So, although I see some benefits in lecture capturing, I strongly disagree with this idea, as well as with the opt out choice. As Ana mentioned above there are many ethical issues to consider, but we also need to think whether this practice will benefit or inhibit student learning. I am sure that stress levels will increase and students will feel intimidated to take part in class discussions. Teachers too will be very self-conscious and their performance may be weakened. So, I think we should seriously think about the possible negative consequences such a practice could have. That's a no for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Capturing a lecture clearly has some educational value, as discussed in Petros's post, but I strongly believe that all positive aspects can definitely be gained through other means. I can, for example, as a lecturer find a variety of available educational videos online presenting specific concepts of interest and direct my students there; or I can even create my own well-prepared, well-thought, concise videos of various topics I present in class, to make available to my students.

    On the contrary, however, I do not think that any of the downsides of lecture capturing can be avoided. I totally agree with all arguments brought forward by Ana, Aggeliki and Zoi. It should clearly be an opt-in option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friends,
    I would like to share my thoughts for this topic. Besides my in-class experience, our university has given me the opportunity to lead an online learning module for the last two years. Doing a little research on the topic I have noticed that our in-class students would love the idea of capturing (no absences / missed classes etc.) while the online students wish to have online live sessions or even a brief personal skype meeting. Thus, indeed technology can be a useful tool, but again on the other hand it can not fully substitute the live interaction or even manage a group's behavior as Aggeliki states.

    So what's my opinion? Personally I believe that up to this day (2016) technology is still, a supportive training/delivery/learning tool that a lecturer may utilize in order to improve his/her services.

    However,from a strategic perspective, as Todd Hitchcock states (senior vice president of Online Learning Services, Pearson), “While enrollments in higher education institutions decreased overall, enrollments in online programs continued to increase. We have seen strong growth in online professional degree programs as learners are increasingly focused on employability and career advancement. As more institutions turn to professional degree programs to meet this new demand, we expect to see accelerated growth in online learning continue over the next 3-5 years,” probably it will be necessary to adopt the capturing practice in order to hold/improve our competitive position. For example, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens provides over 200 online modules that incorporate the capturing technology.
    Thus, based on my opinion it is not just who answers, it is also which are the future market trends and what our competitors do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with Ana, Zoi, Aggeliki, Ioanna and Tasos. One of the many things that distinguish us as IF, is the interactive approach we follow in the class. This interaction is hard to recreate with any online tool, and impossible in a video. In addition, the cultural issues that have forced the IF to take attendances in the class and fail students in case of exceeding an absence limit would become a major issue. From personal experience I can say that there will be little benefit to the students as I doubt that they will spend the time to properly see the video afterwards, especially if they have been present in the class. Even scanning through a 50 minutes video to locate the part that interests the student will be difficult and time consuming, not worth the time spent at the end. I agree with Ioanna that we could provide to our students access small existing videos (most of us do that anyway) that are available online.
    Finally I would add a personal remark that the lecturer’s image and voice are personal data and as such, both legally and ethically it should be up to him/her to decide if they should be available online. Therefore I disagree with the whole idea of lecture capturing on a regular basis for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will start by saying that I strongly believe that ‘video’ as an educational tool can provide enormous value! Not only pedagogical value for students but also ‘market’ value for an academic institution. All of us understand these benefits so I will not elaborate. Regarding lecture capturing I can again see the advantages. However, I can’t help but think one important parameter: the teaching approach.

    A large university classroom has 100 or so students. In such a setting, interaction with students, hands-on practice during the class, and affective elements that create a comfortable learning environment, are minimum to none, even if educational technology is used (e.g. clickers). Therefore, the environment drives a teacher to ‘lecture’. In such a setting, recording a lecture makes sense. However, this is not our approach. We have small classes; we use a wide number of surprising/innovative/intriguing instructional techniques in the classroom; we have a lot of interaction and hands-on practice; we create a comfortable/safe environment (by walking around, use of humor, story-telling etc.). This kind of a learning/teaching setting is not suitable to be ‘played-back’ because a viewer will not be able to ‘feel’ it. Furthermore, to be honest, I wouldn’t feel comfortable to use humor or do a magic trick in order to reinforce a topic I am teaching or to engage students if I were being recorded.

    Another aspect is that … size does matter! Traditional lectures are not designed for online delivery. I have attended many online courses in platforms like Coursera/EdX, and never did I find a video longer than 20-25 minutes. As a matter of fact, most of them are less than 10 minutes. There is a reason for this: watching a lecture becomes monotonous after a while if there is no interaction. Therefore, creating a video with two 50-minute lecture sessions is a big no-no to me (as a learner).

    On the other hand, as I mentioned, I strongly believe that educational videos can provide enormous value. But, what kind of videos to create and for what purpose to create them, are essential issues to consider. So regarding capturing lectures in video, the question an academic institution must answer is:
    - Is the purpose purely educational? Meaning, do we want through the videos to support current students by generating flexibly accessible learning content? If the answer is yes, there exist alternatives, such as the ones that Ioanna and Kostas are suggesting, but also other approaches that ourselves can record learning content as a video.
    - Is there another ‘more strategic’ purpose? Such as to be perceived as an institution that is aligned with the digital era, demonstrate a technological example of the support provided to students and effectively attract new students? If the answer is yes, I strongly believe that there are better, much better and more innovative ways to achieve this, through video again but not lecture capture.

    Summing up, in my opinion lecture capture at the IF should definitely by opt in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fully agree with all of the comments that have been made. Regarding the trend of on-line programmes, I think that it’s a totally different approach or rather strategy and it should not be compared with face to face learning
    No one doubts that technologies can enhance the teaching and learning process but I don’t think lecture capturing is the one that can enhance a primarily face to face learning environment.
    As we all know teaching is much more than just ‘dispensing ‘ information it’s also about coaching and mentoring students, identifying and addressing social and emotional factors affecting students’ learning, and providing students with feedback on skills such as critical thinking, creative problem solving, competency in quantitative skills, communication, and project management etc . These take place both in class and outside of the class on an individual or group level.
    This is something that we have being doing, I think, very successfully all of these years at the Faculty. Through our interactive teaching we try hard to ‘engage’ students, generate an interest , motivate them , reduce if not eliminate emotional barriers towards learning etc.
    Can this ‘class energy’ that each of us uniquely creates be retained with lecture capturing? Personally I do not think so. In my case, where I teach mostly highly unpopular quantitative subjects a big part is getting students to believe that they can do the work with a bit of effort and much of this is done in class in terms of overcoming the metal block that many have. Part of this is making a bit I, will dare say, ‘fun’ so as to reduce the stress and resistance.
    I can see an ‘upside’ in using lecture capturing along the lines that Ioanna and Thanos have mentioned. It can be used sparingly with a specific purpose which may be to supplement what is already being done.
    To conclude, putting it on a cost- benefit basis, I think we have more to lose rather than to gain in the case we go forward with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that there are several cultural differences that have to be taken into consideration between the UK and Greece. In Greece, we still have a more "conservative" approach regarding online media, personal data and being recorded while lecturing. As an addition to that, most of us teach in a language that is not our mother tongue. Thus, we are already quite self-conscious of our own performing as Ana mentions. By adding an extra factor such as video capturing, the stress impact might be increased significantly, especially in the introductory phase of implementation. By using the opting out system we practically point the finger at anyone who for whatever reason decides not to have video capturing while making video capturing the norm. As a culture we are far from accepting such norms and should be weary of such policies that might back-fire.
    Moreover, I would like to point out that the video capturing of a lecture (50 minutes video) would be a tedious watch. Most online materials that are specifically designed for distance learning are around 10 minutes or less and usually include graphics and other media to engage students with distance learning. Otherwise, the benefits of having the video available really minimize.
    It would be a different story if we were a public university having open access to our material that could be used as a marketing tool. I think carefully selected lectures can be used for such a purpose but then we are talking about an opt in rather than an opt out solution.
    Merry Christmas to all! I enjoyed the conversation in the comments section and the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear All,

    Happy New Year! I hope this post/response finds you all well! I have to say that the particular topic has generated quite a bit of discussion and all the comments made and points raised thus far are all matters/perspectives I too have considered/contemplated and am still thinking about.

    While I personally am not against the idea of being videotaped (lecture capture/ recording of presentation, YouTube culture/vlogging etc.) I can fully understand why it should initially be established as a free choice for each individual educator especially when taking into consideration cultural differences, logistics (small versus large classes), ethics etc.
    However, I have to echo both Tasos and Thanos in regards the matter of traditional face-to-face teaching and online teaching/MOOCs; there is some value to video-lectures but how to interweave the traditional face-to-face teaching with online/MOOCs is not and won't be a simple matter of lecture capturing if this is the overall intent.
    Violeta and Ioanna make a good point that perhaps supplementary video material assisting towards the face-to-face lecture may be more useful than two full hour videotaped sessions. As Thanos has pointed out, this goes against the MOOC mentality and for good reason; I too have had the chance to "attend" MOOCs and the videos alone if too many/too long can be boring/not fully engaging. Nor are they enough interactive-wise; the interactive component that exists in face-to-face teaching needs to be replicated/substituted in some way (for MOOCs social media/forums are used which require volunteers/assistants to supervise/moderate and it is still not the same as face-to-face interaction). Therefore, if lecture capturing is a way to initiate training towards online teaching/MOOCs it could certainly assist in the acquisition of skills and knowledge of such areas, introduce the mentality/concept to students and perhaps help towards a smoother/gradual transition for all. However, if it is merely to act as an archive/database of videos mainly to be used by students who were absent, I don't see the immediate benefit/purpose but rather the problems/liabitilies it may raise in light of attendance policies or practical matters such as long videos/video editing/video access/copyright etc.

    In sum, I am up for making use of all the latest advances and tools technology has to offer but for myself personally, I do not fully comprehend the idea of lecture capturing (which I stress should be optional for educators at this point/stage) when online teaching/MOOCs for me are the next logical step especially when a teaching context is already implementing a wide variety of online platforms/tools to assist current face-to-face teaching.

    I look forward to reading more comments/thoughts from colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like to identify yourself? You posted this comment as unknown. You can remain anonymous if this is your intention.

      Delete