Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Using Video as a Formative Feedback Method by Thanos Hatziapostolou

Formative feedback is considered very important in the learning process as it enables learners to consolidate their strengths, identify their weaknesses and realize how to improve. Research suggests that high quality formative feedback should have the following attributes: 

  • it is given in a timely manner
  • it is empowering
  • individualized
  • manageable
  • specific, and
  • directly related to assessment criteria


Research also suggests that the method that feedback is communicated may play a role in learners’ engagement with the feedback. The prevailing electronic methods of providing formal formative feedback on student submitted work include: 
  1. assessment rubrics, 
  2. feedback forms, and 
  3. annotations on submitted work. 

Certain technologies, such as TurnItIn GradeMark, actually somewhat combine the above three techniques. Rubrics, feedback forms and annotations do foster the provision of high quality feedback and certainly facilitate the distribution of formative feedback to students. But how ‘engaging’ are these methods for the learners?

Professor Phil Race, one of the leading experts on formative assessment and feedback in the UK, mentions: “Feedback on paper is the most dangerous, most widely-used, yet least effective way of helping students to learn from their triumphs and disasters. Face-to-face feedback helps students to make sense of their thinking, aided by tone of voice, facial expression, body language, encouraging smiles, speed of speech, emphasis on particular words, and the ability to fine-tune the feedback on the basis of how it is being received. Paper-based feedback allows for none of these, and is rarely used at all well by students”.

Techniques that can provide high quality feedback that also incorporate the affective advantages of face-to-face communication include podcasts (used for many years) and videos (a more recent approach). In this blog post I would like to share my approach to providing formative feedback with video. More specifically, in the previous semester for the unit “Database Systems” students had to design a database for a sports related website. The feedback mechanism included:
  • a 20-minute video for each team (total 12 teams) with individualized feedback on the submitted work.
  • a 30-minute video with the model solutions to the practical. A Wacom (a type of a mouse in a form of pen-on-a-pad) was used to draw in real-time and explain the solution.

While the videos are actually screencasts, I turned on the web camera to also record myself in order to incorporate affective aspects. In this way, the student experience is, up to a point, similar to as if they were next to me and I was explaining to them what they did correct/wrong.

The size of the video files was an issue and needless to say they could not be emailed. Each video was approximately 500 MB in size, and in order to distribute them to students, I chose to upload them on YouTube (unlisted for privacy purposes). Apart from students finding it really engaging to watch their feedback on YouTube, the popular video platform enabled me to have viewing statistics (and thus see if students watched the video) but also enabled interaction with the students through the comments feature.

Below you can see the videos. The first one is the model-answers video while the second one is the individual feedback for one of the teams:


Two obvious questions arise. The first one is “what did students think and was it worth it?” Well, I distributed a questionnaire approximately a week after I uploaded the videos and students anonymously expressed their opinion. Although the results are extremely positive just by going through the responses, unfortunately I didn’t find the opportunity to formally perform statistical analysis yet. What I did do, however, is create a Wordle with the statements that students wrote in an open-ended question of the survey. The question asked students to write maximum five sentences/words that described their experience with receiving formative feedback through video. The Wordle can be seen below (the size of the fonts reflects occurrences of responses). It is worth to note that there were no negative comments.


The second obvious question is “how long did it take?” Well, once I figured out the settings for the software tool and the Windows operating system, it took exactly as long as it would take me to evaluate the assignment without recording the video. In other words, 20 minutes per submission. To be honest, I strongly believe that it would have taken much longer to type the feedback comments and I certainly wouldn’t be able to type as much as I am saying in the video. Uploading the videos on YouTube was the only time consuming thing (35 minutes per video); but this can be done as a batch process (all of them at once), and once you click the upload button, you can do something else.

Certainly not all types of submitted assignments are suitable for video feedback. And certainly many teachers do not wish to be recorded. But as you probably understood, it was my choice to include my beardy face 😊 in the video, which could have just been a simple screencast (with only my voice). In any case, there is a huge trend towards using multimedia in learning/teaching and video is undoubtedly one of the most powerful technologies.

If anyone is interested, I would be more than happy to tell you the software tools that I used and most importantly the settings on them and on Windows.

Thanos Hatziapostolou
Senior Lecturer, Computer Science Department

No comments:

Post a Comment