Based on our CiLT discussions focused on constructive alignment and the issues presented in the post “How doesthis module fit within the programme?” I would like to share my experience attempting to address these issues.
Thus, I took the initiative to record an informal screencast uploaded in youtube to address the crucial issues of module fit within our programme and eventually, based on Prof. Kefalas, Dr. Tsorakidis, Ms. Papakonstantinou and Ms. Sfouri feedback, five short youtube videos were recorded covering the topics of:
1. Module Introduction
2. Linking the module and profession
3. How the module fits in my studies
4. Linking the module with prior and future knowledge and
5. Linking the module with research and practice in profession
After that, I placed the youtube playlist in the Headlines page on module’s Mole, and during the first week’s deliveries I was reminding students, in both cohorts, to watch this playlist. After doing that, I encouraged them to send me a brief feedback for these uploaded videos. By week 3 around 80% of the students had watched the videos and some of them send me their thoughts. Please find below, some indicative student feedback:
Therefore, I believe that this practice gives us the opportunity to help students realise the value of our modules and answer by the beginning of the semester the question “How does this module fit within the programme”.
Thank you for your time reading this, feel free to contact me if something is needed.
Thus, I took the initiative to record an informal screencast uploaded in youtube to address the crucial issues of module fit within our programme and eventually, based on Prof. Kefalas, Dr. Tsorakidis, Ms. Papakonstantinou and Ms. Sfouri feedback, five short youtube videos were recorded covering the topics of:
1. Module Introduction
2. Linking the module and profession
3. How the module fits in my studies
4. Linking the module with prior and future knowledge and
5. Linking the module with research and practice in profession
After that, I placed the youtube playlist in the Headlines page on module’s Mole, and during the first week’s deliveries I was reminding students, in both cohorts, to watch this playlist. After doing that, I encouraged them to send me a brief feedback for these uploaded videos. By week 3 around 80% of the students had watched the videos and some of them send me their thoughts. Please find below, some indicative student feedback:
- Student 1: “Listening to the videos you provided for the Organizational Behavior module was a new experience for us. I found the videos both understandable and informative”.
- Student 2: “I honestly believe that these brief videos helped me not only understand the importance of moving from level 1 to level 2 but also that the modules from level 1 up to level 3 are highly linked. As i understood O.B. is the linking bond connecting 1st level to 3rd level modules (principles of management and business communication) by enriching our knowledge in order to understand H.R. module in the 3rd level of our studies. What i liked the most about these videos is that you explain the reasons why this module is so important to us and what skills we will acquire after attending it. I also really liked that you presented us some topics that we are going to deal with for example how to manage conflicts between employees. In some modules we have a vague "picture" of them and we understand their importance in week 12. So I believe that these videos helped me understand clearly the importance of the module.”
- Student 3: “I found the videos really helpful for me to better understand what OB is about. I think this kind of method is more effective than just reading a text as you were showing different examples or pictures at the same time you were talking. It would be even more interesting if you combine more relative pictures with examples. Apart from that, it was really useful and helpful.”
Therefore, I believe that this practice gives us the opportunity to help students realise the value of our modules and answer by the beginning of the semester the question “How does this module fit within the programme”.
Thank you for your time reading this, feel free to contact me if something is needed.
Tassos Diamantidis
Lecturer, BEAD

No comments:
Post a Comment